In light of the Government’s failure to make our society safer for women, The Labour Party has published a Green Paper on how to end the epidemic of violence against women and girls. You can read the full report here. Under a Labour Government, we would:
- Make misogyny a hate crime
- Criminalise street harassment
- Introduce a new statutory minimum sentence of seven years for rape
- Toughen existing sentences for perpetrators of rape and stalking
- Guarantee statutory defences for victims of domestic abuse
- Create new specific offences for street sexual harassment and the practice of landlords asking for sex in lieu of rent, as well as introduce bold measures to reverse record low conviction rates for rape.
In March 2021, I hosted my third Women’s Health zoom chat where I listened to female constituents on how the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted their access to and experiences of healthcare services, and more generally, their experiences of the pandemic.
I want the UK to be the best place in the world for young girls and women to grow up. I want them to be safe and secure at home, at work, in education and out and about in the community. Sadly, this is not the reality and the Tory government continues to let women down every day. The Labour Party has a concrete and detailed plan ready to tackle the misogynist attitudes and violence against women in our society.